Djokovic bristles over hamstring conspiracy claims

Must Read

Novak Djokovic has avoided questions about the extent of his hamstring injury and confirmed he’s close to full fitness after battling through the problem to win his tenth Australian Open last month.

Djokovic appeared at a tennis centre in the Serbian capital Belgrade and seemed to be moving around well on the court according to reporters who attended.

THE MOLE: Ex-con’s ‘raw’ message for Sea Eagles players

READ MORE: Wallabies coach bails on Eddie in World Cup blow

READ MORE: ‘Don’t even speak’: Norman’s sad reality

The 35-year-old was badly hampered by a hamstring injury he suffered in the lead up to the first Grand Slam of the year, with some reports claiming he had a 3cm tear in the muscle.

But the world No.1 declared he’s fit enough to play in the upcoming ATP tournament in the United Arab Emirates.

Djokovic breaks down after defeating Tsitsipas in the Australian Open Men’s Final

“It has healed, and I am close to being 100 per cent ready. I’m still not there, but things are looking good and encouraging, so we made a decision as a team for me to go to Dubai,” he told reporters.

Djokovic bristled at suggestions that his hamstring issue had been a stunt — following accusations in Melbourne that he exaggerated the severity of the injury.

“I really do not have time, energy or will to deal with every story that appears on the internet, or what someone says about something. I know what is right and what is true,” he added.

Djokovic has asked American authorities for special permission to enter the United States to play tennis tournaments in California and Florida despite being unvaccinated against the coronavirus.

The Transportation Security Administration has said the requirement for foreign air travelers to be fully vaccinated against the disease would be in place at least until mid-April. The tournament in Indian Wells will be played from March 6-19 and the Miami Open is scheduled from March 20-April 2.

“Everything is currently in the process,” Djokovic said. “I have a big desire to be there.

“I am really thankful to the Indian Wells and Miami tournament (officials) and community for their support publicly and they would like me to be able to play in their tournaments.”

Djokovic trumps Tsitsipas in AO final

Djokovic is one of the most high-profile athletes who is unvaccinated against COVID-19.

Last year, the 35-year-old Djokovic was deported from Australia ahead of the Australian Open because of his vaccination status. Djokovic returned to the tournament in January after Australia lifted its strict vaccine mandate to win his 22nd grand slam title, tying the record with Rafael Nadal.

Djokovic said that Nadal remains his biggest on-court rival despite the rise of 19-year-old Spaniard Carlos Alcaraz, who had been at the top of the rankings before a leg injury prevented him from playing at the Australian Open.

“(Alcaraz) is arguably the next biggest thing in our sport, or he’s already there.” Djokovic said. “I just feel that the rivalry with Nadal is something that is difficult to eliminate.

“Nadal has been the biggest rival and he probably will remain the biggest rival I ever had in my career.”

Djokovic reached another milestone in his tennis career this week by tying German great Steffi Gaff with 377 weeks at the top of the world rankings.

“Obviously, Steffi Graf is one of the biggest legends of our sport, both men and women tennis, and someone that I truly admire and respect,” Djokovic said. “So, of course, it’s very flattering that I am able to equal her record and obviously have a possibility to break it as well the next week.”

Djokovic said his next tournament will be next week’s Dubai Open.

For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!

Latest News

More Articles Like This